Jeremiah Program

Mission Statement

To transform families from poverty to prosperity.

Contact Information

Address
1510 Laurel Ave., Ste 100
Minneapolis, Minnesota 55403
Phone
612-692-8711

General Information

Alternative Name
n/a
EIN
411801834
Principal Staff
Gloria Perez
Number of Full-Time Equivalents (FTE)
50
Volunteers
1200
Number of Clients
300

Board

Board Chair
Jeff Smith
Number of Board Members
15
Board Meetings with Quorum
5
Average Member Attendance
9.6

Impact and Programs

Accomplishments
•The Moody Foundation gave us the largest grant in our history—$4 million to support the creation of an expanded campus in Austin, TX. • Jeremiah Program was profiled in a video by the New York Times, on The Meredith Vieira Show and NBC News, and in the Des Moines Register, Star Tribune and Washington Post. •The W.K. Kellogg Foundation awarded Jeremiah $600,000 to help us respond to communities across the country that are searching for effective two-generational approaches to ending poverty. •We greatly expanded our service to Minneapolis and Saint Paul alumnae, conducting 267 coaching sessions and making nearly 300 resource referrals. •We hired our first executive director in Fargo, ND–Moorhead, MN, Diane Solinger, who brings extensive experience in student support services, education and fundraising. •We joined with Endicott College and several other organizations in Boston to pilot a new approach to delivering our model. •We celebrated the graduation of 16 young women and their children from our Minneapolis and Saint Paul programs, and served 304 families through our campuses and programming in Minneapolis, Saint Paul, Austin, Fargo-Moorhead and Boston. •Of the Minneapolis-Saint Paul graduates who moved out of Jeremiah in 2014, 75% were employed at an average wage of $16.32 per hour and the other 25% were continuing their education. In contrast, 44% of these women had entered the program unemployed and the other 56% were earning on average only $10.56 per hour.
Current Goals
•Women enter the program with a high school diploma and leave the program with a college degree earning $15-16/hour. •Women eliminate or drastically reduce their use of public assistance. •Where they once lived in unstable housing situations, Jeremiah graduates find safe, affordable housing. •90% of graduates report their children are performing at or above grade level. •Through our fundraising efforts, we will raise: o $2.3 M for Minneapolis/St. Paul o $3.3M for Austin (includes $2.7M capital campaign) o $775,000 for National Expansion o $2.4M for Fargo-Moorhead ($1.2M capital campaign)
Community or Constituency Served
For more than 15 years, Jeremiah Program has provided single mother and their children with a path out of poverty through a proven, two-generational model. By providing support for a career-track college education, quality early childhood education, safe and affordable housing, and empowerment and life skills training, Jeremiah Program prepares determined single mothers to excel in the workforce, readies their children to succeed in school, and reduces generational dependence on public assistance. Described as “a pioneer” by The New York Times, Jeremiah has developed an anti-poverty model that moves single mothers and their children up the socioeconomic ladder together by swaddling families in a comprehensive support system. Our goal is to streamline complex bureaucracy, connect partners, and create whole-family programming to change lives for two generations. The work Jeremiah Program does touches on core American values that cut across the political parties: self-determination, self-reliance, education, and a “fair shake” for everyone.
Geographic Area Served
Austin, TX; Boston, MA; Fargo, ND-Moorhead, MN; Minneapolis, MN, Saint Paul, MN,

Finances

3 Year Average Expenses
Program Services $2,805,747 67.8%
Management $421,916 10.2%
Fundraising $910,078 22%
Unrestricted Net Assets
2014 2013 2012
End of Year: $12,315,627 $11,686,897 $10,849,621
Beginning of Year: $11,686,897 $10,849,621 $10,166,280
Difference: $628,730 $837,276 $683,341

What does it take to Meet Standards®?

Meeting the Accountability Standards® is more than checking items off a list. Each nonprofit you see on this website has gone through careful assessment, and then invested in implementing changes to meet our high operational standards.

Learn More

Get our latest and greatest monthly!

Subscribe

Charities Review Council

Our mission is to mobilize informed donors and accountable nonprofits for the greater good. We envision vibrant and healthy communities for all, benefiting from effective and trustworthy nonprofits that are supported by a well-informed public’s generosity.

Let’s Connect

700 Raymond Avenue, Suite 160 • Saint Paul, MN 55114
Phone: (651) 224–7030 • E-mail: info@smartgivers.org

Are you looking for the Accountability Wizard®?Log in here!
+